Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Escape From Alcatraz ... In Reverse


There are many unfair things regarding the government shutdown, and I don't want to downplay the seriousness of the matter. I believe everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and I'm not interested in a debate on the issue. Instead, I choose to make light of my own inconvenience.

The selfish point of this post ranks low on the importance scale regarding the shutdown, but I would like to go on record stating another very valid reason this circus needs to come to an end. We need air traffic controllers to stay on the job so a group of us can travel to San Francisco for my best friend's 40th birthday celebration. It's been planned for quite some time, and it's frustrating to know that we will not get to tour Alcatraz due to the recent closure. Hawk Hill, with its famous view of the Golden Gate Bridge ... closed. Muir Woods with its breathtaking redwoods ... closed. WHY DON'T THEY JUST SHUT DOWN SAN FRANCISCO and ignore all of my carefully planned photo ops and Nicolas Cage/Sean Connery reenactments?!?!

It's difficult to see any kind of maturity or etiquette displayed in the playground sandbox we call Washington. So the big picture? Senators standing around on the Senate floor for 21 hours just to prove a point, even taking time to read Green Eggs and Ham to a child watching from home. It's a house divided, people standing on one side or the other with their arms crossed. "We're not budging." "Well, we're not budging either." <tongues stuck out at each other in true Miley Cyrus fashion>

Come on, people. This is ridiculous. The rest of us need to earn a living, we need civil services to continue, and quality health care needs to be affordable. Grow the hell up and put your heads together to arrive at some fair compromises, and stop acting like five-year-old children screaming about a stolen shovel.

My suggestion? Lock up all the rock-kicking sandbox crybabies in Alcatraz until they come to an agreement. That's a tour I'd pay for. I'm all about principle, after all, and I would gladly sacrifice a little bit of dignity by taunting the animals behind the bars just to prove that acting like an adolescent when you're supposed to be an adult is annoying as hell.

In closing, I have the simple goal of celebrating a birthday while refraining from getting us all arrested or lost somewhere in Nova Scotia on the opposite side of the continent searching for Mike "Gandolf" Ganderson, 

No comments:

Post a Comment